Saturday, August 18, 2007

First meeting....

This evening, as I was walking towards the Bhajan Hall, I noticed a large group of westerners gathered in front of the main temple. Figuring they had just arrived and might need some help, I offered. Indeed, they had just arrived an hour ago and would be leaving around 7:30pm. They were all from Germany and were sad at having missed darshan – none of them had met Amma before. I gave them a brief introduction to the Ashram and managed to gather a few Embracing the World brochures even though the Information Center was closed at the time. I explained that Amma would be coming down for bhajans in a few moments and perhaps they would like to see Her come out of Her room.

So I brought them around to the front of Amma’s house where they patiently waited. I told them that Amma may not even come out for Bhajans, but they should wait and hopefully Amma would walk by on her way to the hall. As I looked at the group lined up on either side of the pathway, I wondered at how they would react to their first glimpse of Amma, and of course, how Amma would react to this large group of new comers.

After about 5 minutes, Amma came down the stairs and made her way through the gathered crowd. I was standing next to one of the women from the group. As Amma walked by, She briefly looked up at this woman, and with a beautiful big look of welcoming surprise, said ‘Ah!’, and with a huge smile, her hand gently stroked the woman’s face. Amma then walked off to the stage. Afterwards, I saw this woman beaming while recounting the event to her friend.

I’m sure this first meeting will be forever etched in this woman’s heart...

Sri Pati
17 August 2007

No comments: